Wednesday, January 22, 2020

Na Hanyate (It Does Not Die)

After 8 long years, it's time to get back on the horse. The title of this amateur poem is inspired by the famous 1974 novel of the same name by Maitreyi Devi. This is also my very first attempt at writing poetry in English. I want to thank everyone who provided early feedback on the initial version which is very much appreciated. Without further ado, here goes the poem 'Na Hanyate'.

Love is often contradictory in nature as the saying goes
'Amare et sapere vix deo conceditur'.
Thanks to a friend for this one.

Let's not ignore the red flags anymore

                    For heaven's sake - for our own sake - let's not make it a chore

I mean this was a long time coming
                    You know it deep down 'coz you're strong and wise
As much as I'd like to believe we can restore our fate
                    Let's not gamble anymore and absolutely not roll the dice

Do we owe each other an apology? May be but who cares?

                    Let's not lose ourselves in quest of a closure
Some things in life are too good to be true
                    Let's not play the blame game 'coz there is never a winner

Let's not avoid the warnings any longer

                    For heaven's sake - for our own sake - let's not make it a daily banter

As ironic as it may sound the onus is on me for letting you down
                    I've always learned the hard way now I know love doesn't conquer
I must admit the heartbreaks caught me completely off guard
                    I can't promise to heal your wounds but I truly wish you recover

For one, we could not afford happiness among other earthly treasures
                    Let's agree to disagree but not at the expense of each other
I feel sick to my stomach taking a stroll down the memory lane
                    My future is uncertain but I'm certain we're never getting back together

Let’s not take each other for granted - not even a tiny bit

                    For heaven's sake - for our own sake - let’s not make it a habit

We have come a long way through dust and darkness
                    Little did we know we were headed for a miserable fall
Two drowning people can only drag each other down
                    Let's not be vulnerable and let's not sympathize at all

I low-key hope that we will together go miles in our next life

                    With a much better version of us meant to be together
I hope you won’t mind if I finally win you over
                    Let's then be madly in love - made and mad for each other

Until then, let’s not neglect our total failure as a pair

                    For heaven's sake - for our own sake - let’s not pretend we have a future

It must feel good to dream of an alternate reality full of hopes

                    'Coz love makes you strong and unrequited love stronger
Sometimes, I am left shivering thinking of our happy times
                    But hey, we had a good run and nothing great lasts forever

I get to write this now without any regrets

  'Coz you were unapologetically you in pulling the trigger
Don't get me wrong it's a dream come true to be a part of your life
                    We crushed our dreams but let's not crush each other

Let’s not be held at gunpoint as a begging gesture

                    For heaven's sake - for our own sake - let's not make it an everyday affair

A scene from the movie Fanaa (2006).
We failed as a couple, let's not fail as a solo traveler in this journey called life.

No comments:

Post a Comment